Everything Hawthorn Shield 2019 – 18th and 19th May 2019
In May each year Townsville and Cairns participate in the Hawthorn Shield with teams from Under 11 through to Masters playing to win the overall Hawthorn Shield.
The Vidgen Cup (Division 1 Men),
Rhonda Crossman Shield (Division 1 Ladies)
Ian Millett Trophy (Masters Men)
are all contested on the Hawthorn Shield weekend.
In 2019, Townsville will travel to Cairns for this fantastic event. Cairns currently holds the Hawthorn Shield.
History of Hawthorn Shield
Men’s Hockey representative games against Cairns began in 1933 when Mr Vidgen, a QHA official, was in North Queensland on a business trip, and he donated the Vidgen Cup for an annual competition between Cairns and Townsville. The women were already playing a series of games against Townsville and joined with the Men in 1933. In the 1950’s and 1960’s the teams travelled by train and sometimes in a special “excursion train”. This was quite expensive so the teams were expanded so a greater number could participate and help defray the costs. One year 22 teams travelled with only 9 official games and the rest were social. Former president of Cairns Hockey Association, Wes Hawthorn, donated the HAWTHORN SHIELD and it is presented to the city which accumulates the highest number of points after all games are played.
Hawthorn Shield 2019
- 20 teams from Cairns and 20 teams from Townsville
- Final Draw Hawthorn with umpires & techs
- Details Coaches and Officials Coach – Managers
- REMEMBER MANAGERS – UNIFORMS AVAILABLE FOR COLLECTION AT OFFICE – CALL MEGAN 40532308
- Begins 11.15am on Saturday 18th – Gates Open 10am.
- New Entrance to Cairns Hockey – within the sporting precinct entrance via Lily Street
- The gates on Rutherford Street and Lake Street will be closed
- games will be played in quarters
- Reef Turf is the new main turf after the completion of the new improvements
- new canteen and BBQ facilities will be available during the event – more details to follow
- Points will be calculated during the day and updates will be posted on Cairns Hockey facebook and announced across the site
- There are first aid rooms supporting each turf
- Injury Ice is available
- First Aid and Sports Medicine available on site
- plenty of shade and shelter on site
- Cairns Base Hospital Address: 165 The Esplanade, Cairns, Queensland 4870 Phone: 07 4226 0000
- Cairns Private Hospital Address: 1 Upward St, Cairns, Queensland 4870 Phone: 07 4052 5200
- Queensland Ambulance Service 42 Anderson Street Manunda Queensland 4870 07 4031 1755
- Chemist Calanna Pharmacy 355 Sheridan Street Cairns North 40314222
- Dentist Perfect Teeth Cairns Suite 5 361 – 363 Sheridan Street North Cairns 4870 40313555
Food and Beverages – More information to follow
CHA Canteen – Hot Coffee available – hot chips/ hot dogs/fish and chips/ burgers – cold drinks and snacks
Souths Fundraising – sandwiches/sausages and home made snacks from the Cairns Hockey Food Truck on Saturday – everything but sausages on Sunday will be available
Trinity Stingers – Sunday Fund Raising BBQ breakfast on site
Menu will be published on Thursday
What's on at Cairns Hockey
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
CHA Board Meeting
Cairns Hockey Association, Cairns Queensland