Cairns Hockey November Update
Summer Programs – Hockey heating up Oct- Dec 2018
- 28 Indoor Teams
- 34 Summer6’s Teams
- Under 16 Hockey Qld Squad preparation for November Camp
- Under 15 and Under 18 State Team Squad members preparing for 2019 Trials
- Under 11 and Under 13 Academy
- Singapore Squad Preparations
- Term 4 School Programs
- Under 15 Cairns Indoor Team Boys contested State Indoor Championships – thanks to parents/coaches and managers for this opportunity
- Bree Pendrigh,Dannan Findlay, Brayden Naess selected in Queensland Indoor Under 13 and Under 15 Girls and Boys teams respectively with Cade Coghlan and Dylan Folpp selected as shadows
We thank everyone involved in delivering these programs.
$2.7m Building Project Update
- Amenities Block is in the process of being handed over
- Board continues to look to resource these amenities so they will be ready for the 2019 Season
- Pumps and Pipes are in the final stages
- Water is disruption is high at the present time but it is all a greater good
- apart from existing programs, we are not taking any facility hiring until the water is completed and handed over
- Some services have started on the link building
- The fill for the construction of the hill continues
- We continue to align with funding requirements and obligations
- Claim 4 65% completed has been submitted and approved
- no additional hiring of the facility until pumps and pipes are handed over
- Work will be continuing with pouring of the suspended slab very soon
- Building is expected to be at lock up before Christmas
The Board of Cairns Hockey takes this opportunity to thank our Mark Fry, Greg Gilboy and Nick Hardy (Life Members) and Phil Druery and Ken Norman for their support and commitment to this building project. It is almost 75% complete with the link building well on its way. The skill, the time, the expertise and the experience these volunteer committee members bring are second to none and we sincerely thank them for the work already done and what is yet to come.
FUN FACTS IN 2018
- delivered hockey promotion and programs into 45 schools across the region
- conducted over 150 sessions at schools
- introduced hockey to 2900 plus students
- 495 involved in Come and Try
- delivered fun programs to 120 inclusive students
- 3 holiday camps – 90 participants
- more schools using the Cairns Hockey Facility than eve before
- 115 local winter teams
- 62 summer teams – summer6’s and indoor combined
- Academy Programs for Under 11 and Under 13 provide additional opportunity
- 16 level 1 coaches
- 30 plus community umpiring with additional information to come
- 370 plus Cairns Representative Players in 2018 to date
- 33 Under 13/15/18 represented in state programs
- 7 represented in national programs
End of Year Financial Report, Audit Reporting and 2019 Budgets
- The Board accepted the 30th September Annual Profit and Loss and authorized the 2017-2018 Audit Report to be available for 2018 AGM
- The Board accepted the 2018-2019 Budget and Schedule of Fees have been sent to clubs.
The Board would like to make the following comments in relation to the Financial Position of Cairns Hockey
- Cairns Hockey Board confirms the association is in a strong financial position at the end of it’s financial year
- It has implemented strong financial practices to ensure the figures reflect what the obligations of the association
- It is looking to increase non member revenue in an endeavour to manage costs
- It is working to deliver outcomes that will strengthen hockey across Cairns region and build collaborative partnerships
- Cairns Hockey continues to identify funding opportunities aligning with Strategic Plan
With the new building and the $2.7million dollar improvements anticipated to be completed for the 2019 season, the Board is working through how to best deliver maximum advantage to the hockey community on and off the field. Information will be shared on the impact of new opportunities across the facility in due course.
Higher Performance Advisory Group
The Cairns Hockey Board confirmed this new voluntary committee for 2019 and beyond.
The Terms of Reference include
- The Committee is not a policy making body but assists the Cairns Hockey Board and OPERATIONS MANAGER by providing guidance and review functions in the interests of ensuring the direction and implementation of higher performance strategy is aligned to achieve increased representation of Cairns Hockey athletes, coaches and officials in state and national programs and to support Cairns Hockey Representative Teams at regional and/or state championships on national teams.
The Committee has prime responsibility for, but not limited to:
a) assist the Cairns Hockey Board and OPERATIONS MANAGER on matters related to the development of a formalised higher performance strategy for Cairns Hockey:
b) establishing a higher performance framework that delivers expertise, guidance, continual education and assessment of the environment across Cairns Hockey;
c) developing and communicating a definition of ‘Higher Performance’ hockey within the Cairns region and its impact within the Cairns Hockey community;
d) provide advice on the development of longer-term Academy Programs, Representative Team Selection Criteria, that align with Cairns Hockey strategic direction;
e) provide advice on the continued development of the Hockey Queensland Higher Performance Network Program;
f) providing reports, as required or requested, via Cairns Hockey OPERATIONS MANAGER to the Board of Cairns Hockey; and
g) such other matters that the Cairns Hockey Board or OPERATIONS MANAGER may direct the Committee to undertake.
In 2018 comparison results from the last 3 years of representative hockey – Under Age State Championships sees Cairns Hockey maintaining or improving their positions in 7 of the 11 state championships. A full chart and graph is available at Cairns Hockey Office and will be included in 2018 Annual Report. This represents an almost 65% improvement.
When reviewing state representative selections in Hockey Queensland teams and programs, Cairns Hockey was positioned the 3rd highest association in numbers of state representative honours received behind Brisbane and Toowoomba and equal to Gold Coast. Mackay was placed 5th and Townsville 9th. These stats will be produced in the Annual Report with the top 10 centres being identified and the numbers of representatives produced.
We can of course always strive to exceed expectation, but the data indicates that the Higher Performance Programs are getting results. Nevertheless the Cairns Regional Hockey Academy will be reviewed with the view of innovating and refreshing this talent pathway program incorporating the new facilities we have and including the possibility of expanding the Academy to encompass Indoor Hockey.
Cairns Hockey Board will be looking at calling for nominations to be involved in due course.
Cairns Hockey Board is reviewing all Sub Committees and will share information on any proposed changes after the next Board Meeting on 27th November 2018. In particular the Indoor Competition Development Planning will take priority in an endeavour to provide direction and planning for this growing format of the game.
We live in busy times and the Board wants to ensure the Forum is held at a time to ensure we can share information to members and be value to the membership. November and December are now unavailable due to Board Member commitments, Hockey Queensland Meetings and Brothers Fishing Contest and the Board has opted to have a pre season Forum designed to share information and to communicate and clarify the 2019 priorities.
SATURDAY 2ND FEBRUARY 2019 – 10AM – 5PM – Agenda will be shared in January 2019.
In the meantime the 2019 Calendar and the 2019 Schedule of Fees will be forwarded to clubs for comment and feedback.
FEES AND CHARGES – 2019
- new fees for 18- 20 age group to assist in the transition out of junior hockey
- minimal increase CPI only
- changes to family discount to make it easier and broader in application
- 5% for 3 or more from a family
- 10% for 4 or more from a family
2019 CAIRNS HOCKEY DRAFT CALENDARS
Please let your club know if you have a preference on the starting and finishing times for hockey in 2019 and let your competitions committee delegate know for recommendations at the next competitions meeting
- 12th December 2018 at Cairns Hockey clubhouse 6pm
- 2Notice of meeting 2018 – for merge
- 2018 AGM Nomination Form
- AGM Minutes 2017
Cairns Hockey will be delivering the 2017/2018 Audited Financial Report and the 2018 Annual Report.
Did you know that Cairns Hockey was successful in delivering programs supported by over $2million dollars value of funding across
- education and training
- health and wellbeing
and that in 2019 already $1.1 million has been confirmed with almost 5 funding applications still to be assessed? This highlights the commitment that Cairns Hockey has in looking for non member revenue to reduce the pressure on the costs of playing hockey.
Cairns Hockey will continue to engage Clubs in relation to ongoing options for changes to our constitution and general updating but at this stage there is no intent to make any changes at this upcoming AGM.
All members are welcome
Hockey Queensland Forum- 24th November 2018
Cairns Hockey will be attending the Hockey Qld Forum and joining with other associations in Queensland to discuss the following issues outlined in the links below. We encourage you to have a read and if you want to share any feed back, send through to Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be advised that there may be some changes to the State Data Base Platform and any information we receive from Hockey Queensland we will share with Clubs and we will arrange updated training sessions. More information will be shared after the Hockey Qld meeting.
- Cairns Hockey and Clubs continue to collaborate to deliver a stronger Imported Players Program for 2019. Engagement has been strong with the clubs interested in being involved and we continue to review and revise these programs so we can ensure we deliver the best available opportunities for the region and its stakeholders.
- We advise that pre season summer hockey will be played in Jan/Feb 2019 and more information will be shared over the next few weeks.
- New Road Safety Collaboration between Qld Police Service – Cairns and Cairns Hockey – this is being developed in partnership with the Cairns Police and is designed to increase awareness around the traffic challenges and highlight best practices at drop off zones. This collaboration will see hockey partner with the police and deliver these programs into schools which will assist in increasing hockey’s profile through a community support program. Thanks to Michael Healy – Member for Cairns for his support to the ongoing challenges we have at hockey in relation to traffic and safety.
- The Cairns Hockey Board requested a detail report on Aspire to be Deadly and this can be found at Aspire Updated Report. We are awaiting advices from Department Prime Minister and Cabinet in relation to 2019 Aspire programs. We are hopeful this will be available by the end of the year and thereafter the 2019 Program will be developed based on the government outcomes within any funding agreement.
- LIVIN FOR HOCKEY collaboration to increase awareness and support around Mental Health Challenges – information will be shared for 2019.
- Cairns Hockey Board will be looking at the Opening Celebration for the new improvements in March 2019 and more information will follow.
- Cairns Hockey has confirmed 2019 Hawthorn Shield will be hosted by Cairns Hockey in May 2019
- Cairns Hockey will host Great Barrier Reef Masters Games in late May 2019
- Cairns Hockey will host State Under 13 Girls Qld Hockey Championships in July 2019.
- Competitions Committee will be looking at draft rules for 2019 and addressing some issues raised in 2018 to ensure consistency and transparency. We will send through copies in due course.
- Judiciary Matters are being reviewed to align with Hockey Queensland
CHRISTMAS CLOSURE – Cairns Hockey will close at 12 noon on Wednesday 19th November 2018 and re-open on 10am on Monday 7th January 2019.
What's on at Cairns Hockey
08/10/2018 - 12/12/2018
5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
2018 Indoor Hockey Competition
Fretwell Park, Cairns Queensland
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
2018 Annual General Meeting
Cairns Hockey Clubhouse, Cairns North Queensland
19/12/2018 - 07/01/2019
Cairns Hockey Office Christmas Closure
Cairns Hockey – Rutherford St Entrance, Cairns North Queensland
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Come and Try and Play Hockey for Free on Fridays in February 2019
Cairns Hockey Association, Cairns Queensland
9:30 am - 4:30 pm
2nd February 2018 - CLUB MEMBERS FORUM
Cairns Hockey – Rutherford St Entrance, Cairns North Queensland
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
CAIRNS GREATEST SIGN ON - promoting Hockey in 2019
CAIRNS CONVENTION CENTRE, Cairns