Cairns Hockey Association | About Us
To all our visitors, we welcome you to Cairns Hockey and the Great Barrier Reef Region, your gateway to discovering the magic of Australia’s true tropics. Here, you can play your chosen sport on our acclaimed, international standard, artificial playing surface and then just lose yourself in the magical, natural attractions that abound in our slice of heaven.
Take a day off to swim among the bright, colourful fish and coral in the world heritage listed Great Barrier Reef. Escape to a secluded tropical island, walk through some of the oldest rainforests on the planet, or visit the great many natural wonders of the Tablelands. It’s the ultimate destination to enjoy this great sport and spectacular, natural beauty at its absolute best, or to find fun and adventure. It’s also the perfect place to relax, be pampered, and enjoy the laid back feel of the tropics. We enjoy a great level of competition, both serious and social, but welcome all like long lost mates.
To all our locals, players, parents, supporters and spectators alike, we welcome you back and promise you an exciting 2016 season. We urge you all to support your clubs in their endeavors to grow our sport and accept the challenges that lay ahead.
We welcome you to our Cairns Hockey, playing the game for 90 years!
Cairns Hockey | Quick Facts
Cairns Hockey was established in 1927/28 nearly 92 years ago to administer hockey in the Cairns region. It has grown into a vibrant hockey association with four (4) clubs – Brothers, Saints, Souths and Stingers – with strengthening relationships with Tableland teams, beginning to participate in the local competition. Its home is at the exciting Cairns North Sporting Precinct on Lake Street. Over 118 teams from Under 10 to Masters – male and female during the winter season , 60 plus teams playing Indoor. Social and Walking Hockey also enjoy the sport. There is a balance of participation opportunities, talent pathway options as well as volunteer roles within the sport.
Cairns Regional Hockey Centre’s facilities include:
Cairns Hockey is an incorporated association managed by a duly elected volunteer Board of Management. The Board consists of a President, Finance Director and 3 additional Board members, elected by its members at an AGM. The Board employs administrative, ground maintenance and coaching and development staff to drive and deliver the competitions and supporting programs. It appoints volunteer operating committees to assist and support the advancement of hockey programs, pathways and competitions.
Hockey supported school and community recruitment programs are delivered across the region with more than 3,000 participants annually. Cairns Hockey runs a full field winter competition and a modified summer competition. It also recognized an indoor competition. 1,600 plus people (males and females) participated in these competitions, from Under 11 through to Masters. The competition is also open to regional teams from the Atherton Tablelands, in both junior and senior competition grades.
Over 350 players and officials represent Cairns and are involved in Talent Pathway Programs across regional, state and national championships annually. In addition, Cairns Hockey delivers programs targeting skill development through the Regional Academy. These programs provide additional opportunity to over 200 members and supporters.
Cairns Hockey Association | Plans & Programs
Cairns Hockey – Aim to be Australia’s Leading Hockey Region by 2020
Cairns Hockey Board and its members are proud to present the 2016-2020 strategic plan for hockey in the region. It is about hockey and the development and delivery of the game in Far North Queensland and ultimately, it’s about our presence, our existence and our relevance in the greater community. The regional sporting landscape is changing and is becoming a recognized product to bring economic benefit to the region. Cairns Hockey is well placed to leverage this and development programs based on sound business and social responsibility models.
2018 Annual Report Annual Report FINAL 2018
2016 Annual Report cnshockey_annualreport166
A copy of 2015 Annual Report http://www.cairnshockey.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Annual-Report.pdf
- High Level of Member Satisfaction
- Sustained Growth within the Region
- Strong Financial Performance
- Expanding competition formats – competitive and social
- Delivering Successful Pathways
- Quality Facilities and Venues
- Strong Social Responsibility Priorities
Cairns Hockey bases its existence on a series of core values, which it weaves through all program plans, programs and projects. Click below to download plans for 2018
Cairns Hockey Association | Board & Committee
Cairns Hockey Governance
Cairns Hockey aims to be “Australia’s best hockey region” by 2020. Important information is available on how Cairns Hockey plans to achieve this, our volunteer Board Members and Committee members, the direction, plans and programs Cairns Hockey is taking, as well as the history of where we came from and the strategic planning to direct us into the future. To download a one-page diagram of the Cairns Hockey governance structure, click here.
The Cairns Hockey Board comprises 5 members and has a history of being one of the best gender balanced boards throughout its history, with currently 3 women and 2 men making up the 5 members. Amongst the specialist skill sets on the board, are people with experience in finance, medicine, human resources, small business and management. The current board members are:
President- John Watts
Director of Finance – Cheryl Overlack
A copy of current annual reports and auditors reports are available for download below.
To offer assistance and support to the organisation’s management and its board, Cairns Hockey has a number of committees. These committees oversee, on behalf of the board of management, key areas of operation and issues in line with the strategic plan 2016- 2020.
The Committees Are:
- Facility Management Team (Terms of Reference)
- Competitions Committee (Terms of Reference)
- Recruitment and Junior Development Committee (Terms of Reference)
- Finance and Audit Committee (Terms of Reference)
- Officiating Committee
- Indoor Committee Indoor Committee Terms of Reference
- Events Committee
- HPAG HPAG
- Aspire Advisory Group Aspire Committee Terms of Reference
To see the members of each committee, please download our committee membership listing.
Cairns Hockey Staff
Cairns Hockey continues to drive strategic objectives. Current structure includes :-
- Align the organizational structure with the strategic pillars of its 2016-2020 strategic plan
- Prioritize the Aspire to be Deadly Program and maximize its opportunities
- Support organizational succession planning and a healthy work and life balance for Senior Staff
The process included the detailed
- Review of Aspire to be Deadly and the confirmation of the 2019-2021 Program provides Cairns Hockey with the ability to be innovative using the budget allocation for salaries and connecting ASPIRE into CAIRNS mainstream programs as part of the mentoring and pathways outcomes bringing value added benefits across the whole of the association if managed well
- Review of Coaching Department identified timing for succession planning, potential opportunities to take advantage of our current human resources available and innovate towards new programs
- Strengthening and expanding a position to market hockey in the region and build the hockey brand with organizational restructure freeing up our skilled workforce to use their significant skills in the best way possible for the association moving forward
- Aligns with our strategies for obtaining new funding sources
- Identified the need for increased club support and included this as a priority within the restructure
- Confirmation of new bookkeeping and financial processes to strengthen financial performance
Cairns Hockey Board has worked very hard engaging many different areas of the association to obtain broad based feedback and is confident the new structure moving forward will advance Cairns Hockey now and in the future.
CAIRNS HOCKEY ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE MOVING FORWARD
Cairns Hockey will be updated this in late Jan 2020
Cairns Hockey AGM
2019 Annual General Meeting
2017 Annual General Meeting
2018 Annual General Meeting
What's on at Cairns Hockey
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
CAIRNS GREATEST SIGN ON TO PLAY HOCKEY - CONVENTION CENTRE -
CAIRNS CONVENTION CENTRE, Cairns